The link below has a picture and a brief write-up on May Stocking Knaggs.
May Stocking Knaggs: Michigan Women's Hall of Fame -
Sunday, September 28, 2003
The link below has a picture and a brief write-up on May Stocking Knaggs.
Wenona or Wehonah-which would it be?
By Fred Welsh
The beautiful Sioux Indian woman raced forward with a long stick with a circular frame on the end of it in her hand. The beauty was named Wenona, which means first born daughter among the Sioux. Wenona was the swiftest runner in one party. An ugly hag with an evil heart but great speed and ability opposed her. The beauty seized the ball while one of her teammates who matched the old hag for beauty quickly struck the evil woman with her stick. Wenona made the goal. The hag’s revenge would unjustly shame the young woman and use the weakness of a rejected suitor to carry off an evil ploy. The Virgin’s Feast was about to take place. When Wenona entered the circle, the lover falsely claimed she was not worthy. The beauty ran from the circle to the forest. She seized a knife and killed herself. The next spring fever took the lover. As his body was being carried away, great guilt overcame the old hag. ‘Wenona was innocent’. ‘She was falsely accused’ the hag said. How often did the Sioux maidens draw near and admire Wenona’s constancy, devotion and firmness.
This story is from Dahcotah, or Life and legend of the Sioux around Fort Snelling by Mary Henderson Eastman. The book was published in 1849 by J. Wiley of New York and received very positive reviews in the Critical Notices of Cornell University for June of that year.
In the same book, Mrs. Eastman tells the story of a Sioux Indian maiden, who rejected a wealthy suitor and the demands of her family by throwing herself from the Maiden’s rock. The book says that Indian girls often take control of their lives in this way. They are not victims but are powerful participants in their own future.
The program for the formal opening of the Wenonah Hotel noticed that Longfellow referred to another Wenonah, the mother of Hiawatha, in a sort of a desultory way. Virgil J. Vogel, writer of Indian Names in Michigan, is not as kind. He says she was an earthbound woman who was impregnated by a spirit.
Longfellow says it almost as quickly in ‘The Song of Hiawatha’ published in 1855.
And Nokomis warned her often,
Saying oft, and oft repeating,
“Oh, beware of Mudjekeewis,
Of the West-Wind, Mudjekeewis;
Listen not to what he tells you;
Lie not down upon the meadow,
Stoop not down among the lilies,
Lest the West Wind come and harm you!”
But she heeded not the warning
Heeded not those words of wisdom,
And the West-Wind came at evening,
Walking lightly o’er the prairie
Whispering to the leaves and blossoms,
Bending low the flowers and grasses,
Found the beautiful Wenonah,
Lying there among the lilies,
Wooed her with his words of sweetness,
Wooed her with his soft caresses,
Til she bore a son in sorrow,
Vogel credited Keating, Eastman and Longfellow for the popularity of Wenona/Winona/Wenonah for place names in the Midwest in his book. Keating spelled the name Winona. Eastman used the Wenona form and Longfellow used Wenonah. Vogel states that two-dozen places in eighteen states have some form of the name
The writer of the Wenonah Hotel program added some original story telling to his reference to Longfellow’s Poem. He changed the historical story Eastman related about the young Indian girl who threw herself off Maiden Rock to avoid a marriage into a love triangle between Wenonah, Minnehaha, a name Longfellow created, and Hiawatha, who in his Midwestern guise was also Longfellow’s creation. Wenonah throws herself from the rock in despair from the loss of her lover, a victim of love’s entanglements.
The hotel opening was held on November 9th, 1908. Henry W. Sage, John McGraw and their wives named the city of Wenona in 1865. Forty-three years and some very different personalities were involved.
Henry W. Sage and John McGraw were deeply involved in the beginning years of Cornell University. Both gave very large amount of money to the university. Sage was very interested in many different branches of study and in the character development of the young. Sage was particularly interested in higher education for young women.
Sage’s gifts to Cornell include:
Sage College for Women with endowment fund, 1873 $266,000
Sage Chapel, 1873 30,000
Contribution toward indebtedness, 1881 30,000
House of Sage professor of philosophy, 1886 11,000
Susan E. Linn Sage chair of philosophy, 1886 50,000
Susan E. Linn School of Philosophy, 1891 200,000
University Library building, 1891 200,000
University Library endowment, 1891 300,000
Costs of Archaeological Museum, 1891 8,000
Sage also contributed money to the Sage Library in Bay City.
Henry W. Sage’s remarks at the laying of the corner stone of Sage College for Women on May 15, 1873 shows how strongly he felt about women’s education. Sage spoke these words;
“ It has been wisely said that “who educates a woman educates a generation,” and the structure which is to be erected over this corner-stone will be especially devoted to the education of women, and will carry with it a pledge of all the power and resources of Cornell University to “provide for and forever maintain facilities for the education of women as broadly as for men.” This may be truly said to mark a new era in the history of education; for although the education of women with men has been heretofore practically conducted, notably at Oberlin, Ohio, for many years and at Ann Arbor, Mich. For three years past, this is the first university in this country, if not in the world, which has at the same time bodily recognized the rights of woman as well as man to all the education she will ask, and pledged itself to the policy and duty of maintaining equal facilities for both. It is, then, no small matter of congratulation that this university, a State institution, endowed by our general government with a princely gift of lands and by Ezra Cornell, its founder, with his own fortune, and more than that with his own great, earnest heart and zealous love for man, is fairly committed to the education and elevation of woman, and that henceforth the structures now standing here and those which shall hereafter be added to them are to be used forever for the education of woman with man, to who God gave her as a helpmeet, and as the mother and chief educator of his race”
Mrs. Susan E. Linn Sage laid the corner stone with the following words
‘I lay this corner-stone, in faith
That structure fair and good
Shall from it rise and thenceforth come
True Christian womanhood
John McGraw was one of the first trustees and had built the first library. When he died in Ithaca, May 4, 1877. He left his fortune to his daughter, Jennie, with the intention that it be given to the university with her passing.
These men and their wives were well-educated, great respecters of accuracy in reporting and interested in liberal education especially for young women. Sage was a great friend of Henry Ward Beecher, who was his pastor at Plymouth Congregational Church in Brooklyn, New York. Beecher had a friendly eye toward the women’s movement. Beecher was challenged for his tendencies toward free love and Sage stood by him in that struggle.
Henry W. Sage and his wife demonstrated a long-term desire to empower women. John McGraw was trustee of Cornell and showed a similar desire through that post. These men and women with their Cornell connections that reviewed work like Mrs. Eastman’s and their involvement with thinkers of the day like Henry Ward Beecher would have surely named their town, Wenona, Michigan for an image of a strong, principle driven woman and not for Longfellow’s example. With their great ability and literary connections, I doubt it possible that they would misspell Longfellow’s Wenonah when they named their town if their intention was to use his creation. I could find no mention of the Longfellow connection to the town in the earlier sources. The History of Bay County says it is an Indian name of unknown significance. Butterfield fails to mention the source of the name in Bay County Past and Present in his 1918 edition but picks up the Hiawatha explanation for the name in his 1957 edition. The Bay County Story by Les Arndt states on page 86 that Sage and McGraw admitted being inspired by Longfellow’s poem Hiawatha. Arndt uses the Eastman spelling, Wenona, and not the Longfellow spelling, Wenonah while he is explaining how the Longfellow character was used. An original source for Sage and McGraw’s admission would be very helpful.
Wenona’s character, and active involvement in life would have fit with what Sage and McGraw deemed important in life. Mrs. Eastman’s Sioux Indian girl is the likely source of Wenona, Michigan’s name.
The headstones of Pine Ridge Cemetery tell only a small hint of the interesting stories of the Bay City founders who rest there. Dr. C.T. Newkirk is worthy of notice.
Hero Physician was St. Williams native
An unedited transcription of an obituary published in the 23 Sep 1909 Simcoe Reformer. [Most paragraph breaks inserted by the transcriber.]
Death of Dr. Newkirk of Bay CityDr. Charles T. Newkirk, a prominent physician of Bay City, Mich., was found dead in his bed at his home at 6.30 o'clock last Thursday morning. The cause of death was heart disease, from which he had been a sufferer for some years, having contracted it in Cuba during the Spanish-American war.Dr. Newkirk had lived in Bay City for 37 years. He is survived by a widow and two children, Dr. Harry Newkirk, of Iron Mountain, Mich., and Mrs. Delores Crockett of New York city, besides two grandchildren and two brothers, Dr. M. F. Newkirk, of Bay City, and Dr. Moses Newkirk, of South America. His widow, to whom he was married in 1862, was Miss Mary J. Anderson of Woodhouse, a sister of Mr. J. E. Anderson of Port Dover.Dr. Newkirk was born in St. Williams, Norfolk County, December 10, 1841. He early manifested his desire for study, but there being a large family to support and educate, his early opportunities were somewhat restricted.Acting upon the advice of a friend, he taught school when but 14 years of age and, with the money thus obtained was enabled to finish his literary course at the high school at Hamilton, Ontario. He afterwards studied medicine with Hon. John Rolph, and in the twenty-first year of his age was graduated from the university of Victoria college, at Toronto, of which his preceptor was dean.He practiced his profession for a short time in Canada, when, with his family he removed to South America. He spent nine months learning the Spanish language, and immediately on passing his examination, was appointed by the governor, director of the province.He was also made a doctor to the Argentine hospital, which position he resigned in three months to accept a similar one in the Brazilian army. He afterwards became first surgeon with the grade of captain. This position he held for three years when he returned to Canada.After a brief visit among his friends there he again went to South America and at Assumption in Paraguay, began the practice of medicine in connection with the drug business. He passed through several epidemics of small pox, yellow fever, and cholera. Of the first mentioned, his brother, Dr. Daniel Newkirk, with whom he was associated in practice, died. This event, together with the constantly failing health of his family, so disheartened him that he determined to return to Canada, and engage in but quiet practice.With this intention he closed up his business in Assumption; but, on arriving in Buenos Ayres, where he had engaged passage, he learned that the yellow fever had broken out there in the most malignant form. Hundreds were dying daily, and those of the citizens who were able, fled the city. Only a small number of the resident physicians could be induced to remain.Dr. Newkirk, with a degree of heroism and self-denial characteristic of himself, decided to remain. Having sent his family on to Canada, he again devoted himself to the work of saving life and alleviating suffering. He was in constant communication with the authorities for the prevention of the spread of the disease; and, by his advice, many sanitary precautions were taken which doubtless cut short one of the most frightful epidemics ever known.An idea may be formed of the danger which Dr. Newkirk was compelled to face from the fact that 26,000 persons died in twenty-five days of this disease alone. He was engaged four months in Buenos Ayres during this plague, rarely working less than eighteen hours daily.His heroic conduct during this time was highly applauded by the press of Buenos Ayres, and the commission of Montsorrat [sic] presented him with a splendid album in testimony of his services to the sick. The ovation paid him upon his departure was a most distinguished compliment.On his way home he stopped a short time in Rio Jansiro, where he was warmly welcomed by the old army officers and surgeons with whom he had served in Paraguay.Immediately on arriving home he set about finding some good location in which he could again enter upon the practice of his profession. After visiting New York, Chicago and other places, he decided to settle in Bay City. His previous experiences soon secured for him a good practice.